13 Reasons Why: I have really, really good hair
A lot of people tell me I have really good hair. I know that sounds cocky, but it's true. And I always tell them, "I have good products." I love my hair. With product in it. You will never see me without product in my hair. Because on its own my hair is limp, straight, rather fine and rather unremarkable. With product in my hair (or the right combination of products), my hair has a life and personality of it's own -- worthy of compliments.
It's no coincidence that people notice my hair -- I've spent about 2/3 of my life combing through hair care sections in drug stores, beauty supply stores and Sephora buying hair products "to try". All that trial and error (lots of error) have resulted in finding a handful of really amazing products that work flawlessly for me.
Because I have good hair, people always ask me what I use and the answer is never simple. There's not just a 1 or 3 products answer. On any given day I could have up to 9 products in my hair. That sounds insane, even to me. And I don't know if anyone else uses that many. It's just part of my process. When I style my hair, I add products in stages. I mix some together and layer others separately. Some are added when my hair is still wet and others are used just as my hair is finished air drying. It's chemistry and each day it's a little different depending on my mood. Or my hair's mood.
Throughout my life I've probably used well over 100 hair products (and some of my favorites over the years have been discontinued). Right now, here are my top 13 products. The 13 reasons why I have really good hair.
1, 2 & 3. Prodjin Anti-Hair Loss Shampoo, Conditioner & Follicle Stimulating serum ($60). This brand found it's way to me because I talk about my hair a lot on Social Media. The founder invited me to try the 3 step system for 3 months -- and I have. The shampoo and conditioner are sulfate free, which is a blessing because I recently started using a gloss to mute my gray hair a bit. So it's safe to use on color treated hair. I love how shiny the shampoo and conditioner leave my hair. My scalp feels healthier and less tight/dry. The serum is great because it's not sticky or thick and it doesn't leave some odd film on my hair that gets in the way of styling. If you've used products for thinning or fine hair, you get it. A lot of them are awful and leave your hair matte and lifeless. I am seeing lots of little hairs growing in around the hair line! I'm going to continue using it to see where it gets me -- but it's definitely worth trying. I get A LOT of questions (more so from women) about thinning hair and what to use. Try it, especially if you color your hair. Follow @Prodjin on Insta or shop the system here!
4. dpHUE Color Boosting Gloss+ Deep conditioning treatment ($30). Justin Anderson is the creative director at dpHue (he's colorist to all your favorite Hollywood blondes - Like Katy Perry). This conditioning and color refreshing treatment comes in several colors. I'm trying the golden blonde since I've been getting a professional blonde glossing treatment to neutralize my silver hair into something more, well, golden! I've used this several times to refresh my professional gloss. It definitely warms up my cool silver hues a bit and it gives my hair multi dimensional shine. People swear by dpHue's Apple Cider Vinegar rinse too. If you're local to Minneapolis, there's a dpHue in Edina, MN. Not local? Sephora & Ulta carry or you can buy here. Find @dphue on Insta!
5. ROGAINE (3 month supply is around $45). YES, I use Rogaine. And I always tell people that and the #1 response is ALWAYS: "Why do you use that? You don't need Rogaine." DUH...The reason I look like I don't need Rogaine is because I've been faithfully using it since 2006 when my husband told me my hair was thinning in the back. That's all I needed to hear -- the thought of not having all my hair sends me into panic mode. All the men in my family over the age of 35 are balding. I've beat the odds very successfully. I just turned 40 and my hair is in tact. The average 40 year old man doesn't have this much hair. I do -- thanks to 11 years with Rogaine. If I had to keep only one product for the rest of my life, it's this! You can buy this at any drug store or here. Women, this works for you too (just buy the one formulated for women).
6. Paul Mitchell Elastic Shaping Paste <ESP> ($14). I love Paul Mitchell -- who hasn't used the Awapuhi shampoo at least once in their life? I bought this product like 10 years ago from CVS and never used it. One day I was out of pomade, so I used this as a last resort. The last resort ended up being what my hair had been missing. That was 8 years ago -- it is now a product I always have in my beauty arsenal. Especially in the summer -- It never fails me. It gives me this sexy messy look with excellent hold. You can almost fake having curly hair because it gives so much volume and dimension. Find it here!
7. Oribe Fiber Groom Paste ($36). I learned about Oribe when I helped launch Social Media for Rachel Zoe's @DreamDry. People are obsessed with these products (partly due to the dreamy scent impression it leaves on your hair -- so much so Oribe released hair perfume). The best way I can describe this Fiber Groom is that it's fine like spider webs as you work through your hands and it brings you hair to a whole other life. It adds touchable, movable fibers to your hair. It also makes hair have a nice sheen. Not matte. I don't use this often, but I do when I'm on vacation and I want to look more flowing and beachy. Curious how it would work on longer hair. Perfect for shaggy cuts. Follow @Oribe on insta or find Fiber Groom here!
8. KMS California Hair Play Molding Paste ($22). I use SO MANY KMS products -- the molding paste is my favorite (2nd choice is the Clay Creme -- the only reason it's not pictured is because I broke the jar and it's in a travel jar). All KMS gels, sprays, pastes and cream clays are FANTASTIC. I like this one because it gives a lot of pliable hold (not crunchy), so I really prefer this when I'm on video shoots and I can't have my hair flopping in my face. This gives my bangs lift and feathers them away from my face and keeps them in place. It also works for gentle finger waves (yes, I sometimes do that). A little can go a long way. Find it here!
9. Philip B. Cream of the Crop Hair Finishing Cream ($28). I don't know where to begin. It's amazing for shine and sheen, to tame fly aways or frizzy summer hair. I found this at Ricky's 12 years ago. I've been using it ever since on days when I want more shine and a sleeker finish. It smells like carrots, because that's one of the ingredients. Somehow, I like that about it. It's a beautiful product, hands down! Find it here!
10. Oribe Surfcomber Texturizing Mousse ($39). When I get bored, I roam the aisles of Sephora, Ulta & Blue Mercury looking for something new to manipulate my hair and give it something extra. Last summer I found this mousse at @bluemercury and it's a keeper. I'm on my second bottle and it's the best $39 I ever spent (you can get a smaller bottle for $22). When you apply it, it gives you this sticky, beachy shiny texture (like you've been hanging at Ditch Plains in Montauk for the afternoon). When it dries, it's not sticky or stiff -- there's flowing volume and it looks pretty care free. I swear by it every day! Find it here!
11. Tecni Art Next Day Hair from L'Oreal ($28). My girl Chelsie at Jon English Hair Spa on Lake Street in Minneapolis cuts and colors my hair. After each cut, she previews a new product on my hair and she usually nails it. Next Day Hair is unexplainable. It's not dry shampoo -- it something you put on clean hair to look like 2nd day hair. Fuller, more tousled and not too greasy (that's 3rd day hair). It's fun. It's not for everyday -- it can leave hair more matte and not every day calls for that. I swear I'm not trying to rhyme with some of these explanations. Find it here! Also, if you're a guy in the Twin Cities with somewhat longer or shaggy hair or have hair that needs a lot of texturizing, call up Jon English and book Chelsie! She cuts and colors women too.
12. Shu Uemura Kaze Wave Sensual Curl foam ($39). Not even sure where or when I found this -- but I will say only this: If you've never used a Shu Uemura hair product or shampoo or conditioner, your hair has not lived. Literally every product from the range is pure perfection. Kaze Wave really does feel sensual and mysterious. I add this into the mix sometimes -- definitely if I haven't washed my hair for a few days. It softens it up and smoothes it out. I don't have curly hair (which is ironic because I buy A LOT of products for curly hair). With the right products and the right mixture of them, you can fake wavy hair pretty well. If you have really thick and somewhat coarse hair, you'd love this. It's silky! If you live in Minneapolis, they sell this at Haus Salon or find here!
13. Sally Hershberger Salon Mineral Spray ($14). I have tried so so many "sea sprays" or "beach hair sprays" that try to mimic the day at the beach for hair. The problem is there's either too much salt that makes your hair look ashen (Bumble and Bumble) or too much oil (John Freida). There's never a right balance. Someone told me to try Sally Hershberger Mineral Spray. BOOM. It's amazing. It does everything you want a sea spray to do. It gives my hair volume, definition and a bit of messy. Just get this and trust that you will love it. I met Sally herself at the last red carpet gig I did for the NY Daily News before I moved to Minnesota. I was actually able to thank her face to face for creating one of my favorite products and she told me I have good hair. Thanks to her! This product is mind blowing. It's also great if you have fine or limp hair. I've been using it for at least 5 years without fail. You will never find me without it. Find it here.
Those products are 13 reasons why I have good hair! Of course there are more -- but these are the core! I'd love to hear what hair products you personally love (or styling tools). Hit me up with questions or comments in the comment section or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Instagram @theworldofdoug!
Coming soon: 13 Reasons Why I have really good skin!!!